Small Water Damages Become Nightmare for Business
SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio has the equipment and tools to help dry out the water damage in your business!
What happens when those small water damages go unnoticed, or moisture soaks into a building’s structural components where it cannot be detected by the naked eye? These incidents may sound relatively harmless, but given time, excess moisture can lead to serious problems.
In as little as 24 to 48 hours, microscopic mold spores, naturally present in all structures, can grow into visible mold. Fueled by the moisture, these fungi feed on a variety of building subcomponents including wood, paint, paper, carpet padding, and contents.
While the debate rages on regarding impact mold have on human health, mold and mildew growth are recognized as major contributors to indoor air quality problems. These nightmares happen every day as a direct result of those small water damages that gradually take their toll on buildings and homes. The recipe for disaster is the combination of excess moisture, a food source for mold found in organic building materials (such as wood, drywall, some types of insulation), and a time delay in removing the moisture.
Give SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio a call if you have more questions about mold remediation today. Our team is dedicated to help your business!
Fireplace Safety Tips
Stay warm but safe this holiday season!
Everyone enjoys a good fire around the fireplace when temperatures have fallen. What’s not to enjoy about feeling cozy and warm during the winter months? Fireplaces may be used to provide warmth during this time of year. But have you considered that this could be a potential fire hazard? Listed below are some tips about fireplace safety to use to keep you and your family safe.
- Crack open a window while the fire is burning.
- Be sure the damper or flue is open before lighting or starting a fire, and until embers have completely stopped burning, to draw smoke out of the house.
- Check the damper by looking up into the chimney with a flashlight or mirror.
- Use smaller pieces of dry and well-aged wood for home fire safety, avoiding wet or green wood, which causes more smoke and soot buildup in the chimney.
- Have a professional check the chimney annually.
- When cleaning a fireplace, remove ashes from previous fires, keeping levels to 1 inch or less for less smoke
- Check for animal nests or other blockages that could prevent smoke from escaping.
- Make sure the area around the fireplace is clear of anything that is potentially flammable.
- Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended and be sure it’s completely out before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Home fireplace safety should include keeping a fire extinguisher on hand.
Fire damage can be devastating and SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio understands the stress that comes with it. SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio is dedicated to helping you. If you face any winter storm damages, give our team a call (210) 653-4651 and we’ll be there to make it “Like it never even happened.”
SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio can Handle Any Size Commercial Water Damage
No job is too big or small for SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio!
SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio understands the stress and worry that comes with fire or water damage and the disruption it causes your life and business. Our goal is to help minimize the interruption to your life and quickly make it "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage. SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio can also mitigate mold and mildew from your business. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
No damage is too big or small for SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio. Our team is dedicated to help you when disaster strikes. Give our trained professionals a call if you ever experience any kind of water, fire or mold damage. Our experts are here to help!
Bring out the holiday cookies!
Tis the season! It’s the time of year where most families and friends gather to be together. Holiday cooking and baking is a wonderful way to gather and bring out the fun and creativity of the holiday season. However, the kitchen may be filled with lots of cooks, things can get messy and distracting. Communication is key while things may get hectic and cluttered, which can possibly lead to a potential fire hazard.
According to the National Fire Prevention Association, cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires each year. And because most people will be cooking their holiday traditions, many homes are at greater risk of a fire. If you plan to cook this holiday season, here are some tips to keep your home safe.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking so you can keep a close eye on the food
- When cooking a meal that takes a long time like roasting a turkey or baking a roast, check it frequently
- DO NOT throw water on a grease fire.
- Keep a fire extinguisher close by.
- Be sure your smoke detector has good batteries in place.
- Keep things that can catch fire, such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food wrappers, and towels away from the cooking area
- Keep children and pets away from ovens and stove-tops in use.
As you cook or bake delicious holiday goodies, remember to just be alert. By following these simple safety tips, you can enjoy your time with friends and families. If your home suffers from fire damage, call the experts at SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio. Our team has the knowledge and experience to properly treat smoke damage. Our company offers 24/7 emergency services, give us a call (210)653-4651
Classification of Water
Give SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio a call if you or anyone you know is dealing with a toilet overflow or sewage back up.
Without warning, emergencies can strike. A toilet overflow or a sewage back up is possible issues in a home. Immediate response is critical especially when water damage strikes. SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio will come to your home and inspect the contaminated water to determine the classification and the necessary steps needed for the situation. There are three different major classifications of water which are the following:
Category 1: Clean Water
- Water from a clean source like a broken water line
- If left untreated can degrade into category 2 or 3
Category 2: Gray Water
- May contain bacteria and viruses - may include washing machine overflow; toilet overflow with some urine, but no feces; or dishwasher overflow.
- It can quickly degrade into category 3 if left untreated.
Category 3: Black Water
- May contain untreated sewage, harsh chemicals, and microbes
- Water from flooding rivers or sewer backup
When it comes to toilet overflows or sewage back up, call a professional immediately. Our team of professionals at SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio is available 24/7 to help you when disaster strikes.
Pipe Safety Tips
Give SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio a call if you experience a ruptured pipe!
The holiday season is quickly approaching and with that comes cooler temperatures. As the temperatures eventually drop here in Texas, consider the safety of your home and prevent disaster striking by not leaving any pipes exposed. Here are a few tips to consider to avoid any busted pipes this holiday season:
- Insulate pipes, especially those close to outside walls, attics or crawl spaces where the chance of freezing is greatest
- Seal air leaks surrounding or near pipes
- Disconnect all outdoor hoses and turn off the water to exterior faucets and sprinkler systems
- Keep heat at 55 degrees F. or higher even when you are out of town
- During a cold spell turn on both hot and cold faucets near outside walls to allow a small trickle of water to run during the night
- If you need to be away from home, drain your water system before you go
- Identify the locations of shutoff valves so that you are prepared to stop the flow of water as soon as possible when a pipe bursts
Thanksgiving is in just a few short days! SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio is thankful this year and we’re excited to be preparing a holiday feast! As our team gathers around the kitchen, it is important that we stay cautious. According to NFPA, it is the leading day of the year for home fires involving cooking equipment.
Please take a look at the following tips from Ready.gov to stay safe this Thanksgiving:
- Only use turkey fryers outdoors; away from home or building and any flammable materials.
- Keep children and pets a safe distance away from the fryer when in use and for several hours after cooking.
- Do not leave the fryer unattended; temperature should also be monitored closely.
- If any smoke, at all, comes from the heating pot of oil, turn the burner off immediately as oil may be overheating.
- Cover any skin that is exposed; it is encouraged to use a pair of gloves that are designed for high heat.
- Follow the manufacture's recommendation for the amount of oil to add. Do not overfill the fryer.
- Be prepared - consider purchasing a fire extinguisher for safety precautions.
SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio is available 24/7 if an emergency should occur. We are here to help. Give our team of trained professionals a call, we are dedicated to helping you when disaster strikes!
Space Heater Safety
As the temperatures begin to drop during this time of year, space heaters are coming out. To make the atmosphere a more comfortable temperature, space heaters are an easy to use a product that can quickly generate a warm space on a colder day. But keep in mind, although space heaters are a common way to supplement heat, they can also cause quite a bit of danger. Fire departments urge everyone to avoid plugging a space heater into a power strip. Power strips are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or worst, catch fire due to the added energy flow.
Stay safe this holiday season! Be cautious when using a space heater or alternative heat as a supplement. SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio is dedicated to helping the community out, give our team of trained professionals a call if you have questions about space heaters.
Fire Extinguisher and Classes of Fires
You can always count our crew to help you after a fire loss.
Did you know that if you encounter a fire with the wrong type of fire extinguisher you could make the fire worse? For example, use an extinguisher that contains only water on a flammable liquid fire and you’ll spread the fire and put yourself in further danger. However, the fires are divided into five classes and fire extinguishers are specifically made to take out one or more of the fire classes. Below is a list of fire classes and the extinguishers that put them out. Each fire extinguisher has labels designated for the type of fire to use the extinguisher on. Double-check the extinguisher you’re about to use to make sure it’s designed to fight the type of fire. If you are unclear how to deal with the fire it is best to be safe and evacuate.
Class of Fire: A (A in a green triangle)
Fires of ordinary combustibles like wood, paper, cardboard, most plastics, and cloth
Extinguishers to Use: Water, Foam Spray, ABC Powder, or Wet Chemical
Class of Fire: B (B in a red square)
Fires of flammable liquids like petroleum, kerosene, grease, and others (but not alcohol or cooking oil)
Extinguishers to Use: Foam Spray, ABC Powder, or Carbon Dioxide
Class of Fire: C (C in a blue circle)
Fires of energized electrical equipment such as appliances, wiring, circuit breakers and outlets
Extinguisher to Use: ABC Powder
Class of Fire: D (D in a yellow star)
Fires of combustible metals like magnesium, titanium, sodium (often found in chemical laboratories).
Extinguishers to Use: ABC Powder or Carbon Dioxide
Class of Fire: K (K in a black hexagon)
Fires of cooking oils, trans fats (often used in restaurants).
Extinguisher to Use: Wet Chemical
Commercial Water Damage in San Antonio
Flooding and water damage events at commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio
SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.