Are You Using Your Fireplace this Holiday Season?
As the temperatures drop this December, residents may be turning up the heat by using their fireplaces to keep warm. To prevent any holiday mishaps be sure you remember a few of these tips about fireplace safety:
Fireplace Safety Tips:
- Before starting a fire, make sure the damper or flue is open. Keeping this open will draw smoke out of the house. Using a flashlight to look up the chimney can check the damper. Never close the damper until the embers have completely stopped burning
- Use dry or aged wood in your fire. With dried wood, it burns with less smoke and burns more evenly. If you use wet or green wood, this causes more smoke and contributes to soot buildup in the chimney
- Smaller pieces of wood positioned on a grate burn faster and produce less smoke
- Make sure to clean out ashes from any previous fires. The levels of ash at the base of the fireplace should be kept to 1 inch or less. A thicker layer restricts the air supply to logs, resulting in more smoke
- You should get your chimney check annually by a professional. Even if the chimney is not due for a cleaning, it is very important to check for animal nests or any other blockages that could prevent smoke from escaping
- The area around your fireplace should be clear of anything that is potentially flammable
- Never leave the fire in your fireplace unattended. Make sure the fire is out completely before going to bed or leaving the house
- Install both a smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure to test them monthly and change the batteries at least once a year
- Keep a fire extinguisher on hand
Do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio after dealing with a fire at (210) 653-4651. Our company has trained technicians with years of experience and certifications to get the job done. Our team is dedicated to helping you when disaster strikes!