Does Your Home Have Mold
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all molds from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all molds, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If you see any signs of mold, call SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio today – (210) 653- 4651
Water damage can quickly lead to mold growth in out of sight places; which means mold can be hiding in your walls, ventilation systems, and many other areas not easily visible.
Certain molds can be highly dangerous to remove on your own especially without the proper equipment. Because mold can be potentially dangerous to deal with, it is important to hire a mold remediation company to handle all your mold needs. Not only will the trained technicians be able to remove the visible molds, but they will also be able to remove the spores from which it grows.
SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio mold remediation technicians will be fully equipped with Haz-Mat suits, full respirators and the cleaning materials necessary to handle the full spectrum of mold infestations. Removing mold is not an easy task. It's just one more reason to give the professionals a call at SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio.
After dealing with a cold winter, some of us are looking upon the spring season. As spring has approached us the weather has been warmer and the trees and flowers have begun to bloom, However, springtime always seems to bring plenty of rain and plenty of rain always brings a higher risk of water damage to your home.
With the increase of showers as well as high winds, roof damage may occur or be revealed as water intrudes through your roof and damages your ceilings and walls. To reduce the risk of roof leaks, you should inspect your roof for any damages from the winter and inspect it after every major storm.
The most common cause of roof leaks is a damaged or missing shingle from storms or fallen branches. If you do experience water damage inside your home from the ceiling or wall, you will want to contact a professional from SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio to inspect the damage, remove the water, and remediate the damage.
Spring Safety Facts and Myths about Lightning
Every year, SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio answers the call to help clean up and restore homes and businesses after spring storms have taken their toll. After all, SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio is always here in helping make disasters “Like it never even happened.” when your property suffers from storm damage. So leave the restoration remediation of your home and business to our team. Consider the following to protect your property during a storm:
Myth: If it is not raining, then there is no danger from lighting.
Fact: Lightning often strikes outside of heavy rain and may occur as far as 10 miles away from rainfall.
Myth: Rubber soles of shoes or rubber tires on a car protect you from being struck
Fact: Rubber-soled shoes and rubber tires provide no protection from lightning. The steel frame of a hard-topped vehicle provides increased protection if you are not toughing metal. Although you may be injured if lightning strikes your car, you are much safer inside a vehicle than outside.
Myth: “Heat lightning” occurs after very hot summer days and poses no threat.
Fact: “Heat lightning” is a team used to describe lightning from a thunderstorm too far away for thunder to be heard.
When disaster strikes, SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio is here to help you. Give our team of professionals a call (210) 653-4651!
Classes of Water
Without warning, emergencies can strike. Immediate response is critical especially when water damage strikes. Did you know there are different classes of water that can cause a loss in a home? The classes of water are defined as the following:
Class 1 – A single room is affected, with little to no wet carpet, with water only on surfaces like wood or concrete.
Class 2 – This class effects and entire room, wetness along the walls (12” or more), and moisture still in the structure.
Class 3 – Ceilings, walls, carpet and insulation are all saturated with liquid or water. This is often due to water coming from overhead.
Class 4 – Water saturates in materials with very low levels of permeation, like hardwood or stone.
Here at SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio we understand that dealing with water damage is a highly stressful. Our trained technicians are equipped with the knowledge and equipment to restore your property to its preloss conditions. Do not hesitate to give SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio a call if you experience any kind of water damage!
Preparing for Spring Safety
Floods are the most common hazards in the United States. Whether you live and work on a coastline, along city streets, in a basin, near a river or even in the desert, there is a potential for suffering flood damage.
What FEMA suggests you can do now:
- Have qualified professionals to evaluate the furnace, water heater and electric panel if susceptible
- Install “check valves” in sewer traps a prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home
- Seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds to avoid seepage.
What FEMA suggests when a flood is imminent:
- Move essential or unreplaceable items to an upper floor, when possible
- Turn off utilities at the main switches if instructed to do so
- Disconnect electrical appliances. Do not touch electrical equipment if you are wet or standing in water
If a flood does strike your business or home, give SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio a call. Even minor floods have the potential to cause major damage to a structure, and the cleanup is often an overwhelming and daunting task. SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio has the tools and equipment to help you during a traumatic time.
Source: Floodsmart.gov and fema.gov
Water Damage Timeline
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
- Water quickly spreads throughout the property, saturating everything in its path
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish
- Furniture begins to swell and crack
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain
- A musty odor appears
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp
- Metal begins to rust and corrode
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold
- Paint begins to blister
- Wood flooring swells and warps
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost may increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio
SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. Give us a call if you have any questions (210) 653-4651!
Flooding Safety Tips
It is common to see a storm with heavy down pours of rain causing flooding in the most protected neighborhoods. Do you know what to do during a flood? SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio has a few tips for you to follow in case an event was to happen:
- Be prepared, create an evacuation plan
- Learn and identify different evacuation routes to be able to evacuate quickly
- If public transportation is relied on, contact the local emergency management for evacuation information
- Turn Around, Don't Drown! ® Moving water above two feet can knock you down; one foot of water can move vehicles away
- Move to higher ground if there is a chance of flash flooding
- Driving during high rain falls can be extremely dangerous. Stay update by checking service announcements through the National Weather Service.
For more information about flooding, visithttps://www.ready.gov/floods. Be proactive and create an evacuation plan to keep safe. It is very important to stay up date when it comes to natural disasters. SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio values our community; we are here to help when disaster strikes!
Mold Remediation in Northeast San Antonio
Mold is one of the most challenging issues you can encounter as a property owner. It can be difficult to detect at first, and if left untreated, it has the potential to cause big problems. Once there are signs that mold levels have a certain point, it’s time to consider professional mold remediation. Below are a few reasons why you should consider mold remediation while dealing with mold in your home or business:
- Taking care of your health: Over time, any exposure to mold can lead to many different health problems. Different symptoms can develop; mold can trigger asthma and allergic reactions, as well as induce respiratory complications.
- Avoid serious damage: If untreated, mold will continue to spread and eventually cause more destruction. When mold is not removed early enough, it can compromise the structural integrity of a home or business and damage beyond repair.
- To prevent future mold growth: The purpose of mold remediation is to significantly reduce the amount of mold currently present in a structure.
Mold remediation is a worthwhile investment that will protect your property, health, and finances. SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio have the equipment and knowledge to also provide solutions that will help to keep mold from reappearing to such an extent in the future. If there is any suspicion that you have extensive mold growth in your home or business, contact SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio at (210) 653-4651.
What to do Until Help Arrives
Have you ever experienced water damage in your home? Each time a house is damaged by water, the type and/or amount of damage can be different and requires different and unique solution. When sewer water enters your home, it may contain bacteria, viruses, and other microbes that can cause illness. Fortunately, SERVPRO of Victoria has the right equipment and specialized training to quickly fix any problems. While you're waiting for our services, here are some helpful things to do and not until help has arrived.
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after contact with contaminated items.
- Spread contaminated water by walking unnecessarily damaged or we areas
- Turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air
- Use household fans to dry the structure and spread contaminants
- Use products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if they have been exposed to the contaminated areas.
We understand the stress and worry that comes with water damage and we are here to minimize the interruption of your business. Give SERVPRO of Victoria a call (361) 573-6000 if your company experiences water damage!