Space Heater Safety
Cold temperatures call for some residents to seek out other heat sources in an effort to keep living spaces comfortable. The most common supplemental heat source is a portable space heater. Space heaters are easy to use and can quickly generate heat to warm up a home up from a real cold day. Consider the following these tips to minimize risks of a heating related fire in your home:
- Keep it three feet away from anything that can burn
- Do not use extension cords
- Turn off space heater when leaving the room or going to bed
- Don't use a space heater in a damp or wet area unless it's specifically made for that purpose
- Install smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and test monthly
Do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio (210) 653-4651. We have highly trained technicians with years of experience and certifications to get the job done. Our team is dedicated to help you when disaster strikes!
Emergency Ready Profile
Do you own a small business? You can't always prevent disasters from happening, but you can always be prepared. Start the New Year off by letting SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio help you stay in business by helping you be prepared for unplanned disasters. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. By creating a Emergency Ready Profile (ERP) with SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. The Emergency Ready Profile provides critical details of your facility along with immediate contact information that provides a guide to get you back into your building after a disaster. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business. Be ready and get a free Emergency Ready Profile with SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio, give our office a call at (210) 653-4651. We are dedicated to help make disasters "Like it never even happened."
Exterior Pipe Safety Tips
It’s the holiday season and with that comes cooler holiday temperatures. As the temperatures occasionally drop below freezing here in Texas, consider the safety of your home and prevent disaster striking by not leaving any pipes exposed. Here are a few tips to consider to avoid any busted pipes this holiday season:
- Insulate pipes, especially those close to outside walls, attics or crawl spaces where the chance of freezing is greatest
- Seal air leaks surrounding or near pipes
- Disconnect all outdoor hoses and turn off water to exterior faucets and sprinkler systems
- Keep heat at 55 degrees F. or higher even when you are out of town
- During a cold spell turn on both hot and cold faucets near outside walls to allow a small trickle of water to run during the night
- If you need to be away from home, drain your water system before you go
- Identify the locations of shutoff valves so that you are prepared to stop the flow of water as soon as possible when a pipe bursts
Commercial Water Damage
Flooding and water damage events at commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio
SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Christmas Tree Safety
As the holiday song goes “It’s the holiday season, so whoop-de-do!” During this holiday season, many of us have a beautifully decorated Christmas tree as part of the tradition to the season. It is important that the tree is carefully decorated to ensure a safe holiday season. Over the years, Christmas tree fires have been responsible for property damage. Most resulted from electrical malfunctions from Christmas tree lights such as faulty wiring, plugs, or even having the tree placed too close to a candle or fire place. To help avoid any fire damages, follow these simple steps.
- Ensure trees are secured and sturdy in the tree stand to prevent them from tipping over
- Use tested and UL-approved lighting when decorating trees or other holiday decorations
- Carefully check light strands for frayed, faulty or exposed wiring, broken bulbs or loose bulb connections
- Make sure to water live trees daily; dried out trees increases fire risk
- Ensure artificial trees are fire resistant
- Set up trees at least three feet away from heat sources (lamp, fire places, candles or radiators)
- Make sure tree is not blocking an exit
Your safety is important to us during the holiday season here at SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio. If you experience any type of fire damage do not hesitate to call our team (210) 653-4651. Our team is here to help you when disaster strikes.
It is important to treat water damage immediately when it happens or right when it is discovered. When water damage occurs, small or large, and is not properly treated, there is potential that it could lead into further damages. In as little as 48 hours, mold can begin to spread throughout the affected areas; especially if the conditions of the area are moist and dark. Do not leave the safety of your home up to chance. If you have experienced water damage take charge and give the professionals a call to properly dry out your home to prevent mold growth. SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio has highly trained technicians with years of experience and certifications to get the job done. Do not hesitate to give SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio a call (210) 653-4651. Our team is dedicated to help you when disaster strikes!
Holiday Kitchen Safety Tips
December is a time when family and friends gather together to celebrate the glorious time of year. During this time of year, we are more likely to spend a lot of our time in the kitchen cooking a gourmet family feast or baking delicious cookies. However, it is extremely important to keep safety at the top of your mind. If you are not properly prepared in the kitchen, it may lead to be a recipe for disaster. Kitchen fires around Christmas time is the second most frequently reported accidents right behind Thanksgiving. To help have a safe and joyous holiday season, follow these tips to help keep your home safe.
- Stay in the kitchen while the food is cooking, Most kitchen fires occur because food is left unattended.
- Keep the cooking range free of clutter. Even though you may have dishes to prepare, do not overload a cook top with too many pots and pans. Trying to cook all your dishes at once could cause grease to accidentally spill onto a range top and cause a fire.
- Always keep a potholder, oven mitt and lid handy while cooking. If a small fire starts in a pan on the stove, put on a flame-resistant oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Don't remove the lid until the food has cooled.
- When removing lids on hot pans, tilt them away from you to protect your face and hands from steam. If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning your or your clothes.
- Do not wear loose fitting clothing when cooking. Long open sleeves could ignite and catch fire from a gas flame or a hot burner.
- Keep smoke alarms connected while cooking. Make sure smoke alarms are installed and working.
- Unplug small appliances that aren't in use. Not only will you save the energy, but you will also avoid potential dangers if they were to be turned on accidentally.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen in case of emergency and know how to use it. Make sure the fire extinguisher is UL listed and rated for grease and electrical fires.
Disasters are never planned. But SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio is always prepared and here to help. When disaster strikes, give our trained professionals a call (210) 653-4651!
Smoke and Soot Clean Up in Northeast San Antonio, Texas
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Victoria will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio has the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. Our crew will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (210) 653-4651
Thanksgiving around the corner and most of America starts to prepare for one of the most important meals of the year! Typically, the most common dishes found on a Thanksgiving table are a turkey. Most people prepare turkeys for the big occasion. But did you know that there can be some dangers with preparing a turkey in your own home? Cooking is the leading cause of house fires according to Ready.gov. Be extra careful with turkey fryers. There are a few house fires that take place on Thanksgiving due to the fact that some safety precautions were not being considered. SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio has provided some helpful tips to use while preparing a turkey to prevent any mishaps from happening. Below are a few key messages to follow to help ensure the safety of your home:
- Only use turkey fryers outdoors; away from home or building and any flammable materials.
- Keep children and pets a safe distance away from the fryer when in use and for several hours after cooking.
- Do not leave the fryer unattended; temperature should also be monitored closely.
- If any smoke, at all, comes from the heating pot of oil, turn the burner off immediately as oil may be overheating.
- Cover any skin that is exposed; it is encouraged to use a pair of gloves that is designed for high heat.
- Follow the manufacture's recommendation for the amount of oil to add. Do not over fill the fryer.
- Be prepared - consider purchasing a fire extinguisher for safety precautions.
SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio wishes everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!
Halloween Safety in Northeast San Antonio
Halloween is here which means high volume of foot traffic out on the streets in neighborhoods. Don’t let the fun be spoiled use these helpful tips to help protect your home and ensure the safety of your fellow trick-or-treaters.
- Make sure that walkways and yards are clear of debris leading up to the home that can cause children any harmful trips or falls.
- Be sure to check exterior lighting and replace bulbs if necessary, leaving the lights on all night may also discourage vandalism.
- Keep pets indoor to prevent inadvertent biting or other accidents that may become threatening.
- Use flashlights or other battery-powered lights in a jack-o-lantern and other decoration instead of a candle to prevent the risk of fire.
- Place vehicles inside a garage and lock the doors and make sure alarm is on.
SERVPRO of Northeast San Antonio wishes everyone a fun and safe night. Happy Halloween!